ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DENTAL CROWNS: ARTICLE BY LITHIA SPRINGS AFFORDABLE DENTIST, VALUE SMILES
We always associate a crown to royalty and kings. Similarly, in dentistry, we use the term Dental Crown to refer to a tooth shaped object placed onto the natural tooth. Crowns can be placed for different reasons, but the function of the crowns remains the same, protecting natural teeth.
Why do we need a crown?
- Endodontically treated teeth/ Root Canal Teeth
- Failure of large fillings/ Silver fillings
- Broken or damaged teeth/ Fractures
- Worn down teeth/ Attrited
- Correct esthetic problems such as gaps/uneven teeth
- To replace a missing tooth in the form of a bridge
- Hide discoloration of teeth
Who can get a crown?
Crowns can be placed on any age group. Even in children, the development of stainless steel crowns have helped maintain primary teeth until permanent teeth arrive.
What factors determine whether a crown can be placed or not?
- Good oral hygiene
- Good periodontal health
- Sufficient room to prepare teeth
- Enough root surface to support chewing forces
- If the tooth has an opposing tooth for a bite
- If the patient does not have any medical related conditions preventing understanding the treatment plan or able to remain still during the procedure.
What procedures are involved in getting crowns?
- Intraoral x-rays and examination determining the type of treatment
- The teeth are prepared to anticipate
- Impressions taken of both arches
- Choosing the tooth color
- Lab fabrication of the crown
- While the crown is being made, we will make temporary crown for you
- Try-in and cementation
How are crowns made?
Depending of the type of material used, crowns are fabricated from porcelain, gold, or porcelain fused to metal. The dental lab has equipment of fabricating a crown based on the impressions taken by the dentist. Irrespective of the material used we got affordable prices for dental crowns.
In recent years, the development of CAD-CAM technology, porcelain crowns can be fabricated in one sitting. The dentist will scan your teeth, which displays on the monitor. Using the computer, the dentist can choose crown material and design it. The file is sent to a milling machine which prepares the crown from a block. In about 20-30 min of milling, the crown is complete and ready to seat.
How much do crowns cost?
All the crowns at Value Smiles are made in the USA. Value Smiles has been offering affordable and quality dental crowns to our patients.
SPECIAL PRICE FOR A DENTAL CROWN RANGE FROM
$699 – $799
NOTE: NO Lab Fees EVER
NOTE: NO Extra Fees EVER
NOTE: Not INCLUDES other procedures like ROOT CANAL OR FILLING
What are the advantages of having Dental crowns?
- Protects natural teeth
- Protects the gums
- Restores the function of missing or damaged teeth such as chewing, speaking, and esthetics
- Adds strength to endodontically treated teeth
- Long life span- ~10 -15 years
- Looks like natural teeth
What are the disadvantages of a Dental Crown?
- In case of porcelain crowns, wearing of opposing teeth can occur
- Metal crowns such as gold are non-esthetic, so they are not recommended on anterior teeth.
- Requires removal of sound tooth structure
- Patients can develop an allergic reaction to certain materials such as nickel
Post-operative instructions after dental crown procedure:
- It will take time to adjust to the newly placed crowns. Some discomfort may occur due to the anesthesia give.
- Refrain from eating on the side of the restoration for a few hours
- If you notice and high spots and continued discomfort for a longer than a week, please visit our office so we can correct your bite.
- Some sensitivity will be noticed in the first couple days, but do not be alarmed.
- In case of sore gums, rinse with warm salt water about 3 times a day.
- If you have some minor pain in the first couple days, you can take over the counter medication.
- Especially for anteriorly restored teeth, speech may be affected until you adapt to having a crown.
- For about a week, an increase in salivation may occur.
- Brushing and flossing regularly is critical to the life span of the crown, because it removes the plaque and debris that builds up around the teeth. If they are not cleaned then decay can develop and the crown will fail.
- Interdental brushes are also available to clean between teeth.
- Avoid hard food and sticky food that can cause damage to the crown such as hard taffy, lollipops, or peanut brittle.
- Eliminate bad habits such as fingernail biting, eating ice, or opening bottles with teeth.
- In people that grind their teeth, mouth guards are very important to minimize the damage to the teeth.
Please contact us at 770-489-9141 or visit us at WWW.MYVALUESMILES.COM for any further information about Dental Crowns. We have same day appointments in most situations. We accept most major dental insurances. We are conveniently located at 2635 Lee Road, Suite C4, Lithia Springs, GA-30122. We are in the Publix plaza at the intersection of Fairburn Road and Lee Road. Value Smiles provide Affordable Dental Care with Excellent Customer Service to patients in Lithia Springs, Douglasville, Austell, Mableton, Powder Springs and surrounding areas.