Oral Cancer Screening at Value Smiles, Lithia Springs Best Dentist
But why we have to do Oral Cancer Screening. Here are some quick facts
- They account for about 40,000 cases/year
- Unfortunately 8000 deaths/year
- Success is higher if diagnosed at early stages.
- 75% of these cases are related to Smoking/Tobacco or Alcohol use
About 85% of the cancers in the head and neck comprise of oral cancers. Our mouth contains many lymph vessels allowing quicker metastasis, spread of cancer. Common areas of cancer occur in the tongue, lips, cheeks, floor of the mouth, and hard and soft palate. According to the American Cancer Society, men have a greater chance of developing oral cancer than women. We at Value Smiles the dentists perform Oral Cancer Screening during the routine dental visit.
- Tobacco products have shown to be a prime contributor to oral cancer, in the form of smoking, dip, snuff, or chewing tobacco. Lips, gums, and cheeks are areas most affected.
- Familial history of cancer can play a role in developing oral cancer.
- In light skinned individuals, constant skin exposure may lead to premalignant and cancerous lesions.
- Excessive alcohol intake has shown to result in increase in risk of oral cancer.
- In women diagnosed with Human Papilloma Virus, oropharyngeal cancer can occur.
- Irritations or sores that do not go away
- Red or white patches
- Swelling of the area affected
- Bleeding from the mouth
- Difficulty performing ordinary motions such as, swallowing, speaking, chewing, or moving the tongue
- Pain may ensue along with numbness and tenderness
- Inability to place dentures, due to growth of soft tissue
- Thickening of tissue, lumps, small eroded areas
Our dentists at Value Smiles at Lithia Springs are skilled in detecting sores and lesions that may be cancerous. If any suspicious lesion is seen, we refer our patients to specialists that can help further diagnose and treat the lesions.
Methods used to diagnose:
- CT scan
- PET scan
Like any ailment, early diagnosis will result in better prognosis. Depending on the extent and duration of the lesion, the treatment will be suggested accordingly. Some options include:
- Surgical removal of the tumor and surrounding tissue (reconstruction surgery may be needed after removal of the tumor).
- Drug therapy (target therapy) – a series of drugs used to bind to cancerous tissue, affected its growth.
- Supportive therapy- treatment aiding in maintain the overall health. These include eating healthy, taking care of the teeth and gums, and stopping any tobacco usage.
- Reduce exposure to sunlight and place sun screen cream prior to outdoor activities
- Remove tobacco usage from daily lifestyle
- Refrain from excessive alcohol intake
- Eat a balanced diet containing Vitamin A, C, E, fruits and vegetables
- Keep your mouth clean with regular brushing, flossing, and mouth rinsing.
- Visit the physicians for routine physicals and dental appointments
Please contact us at 770-489-9141 or visit us at WWW.MYVALUESMILES.COM for any further information. We have same day appointments in most situations. We accept most major dental insurances. We are conveniently located at 2635 Lee Road, Suite C4, Lithia Springs, GA-30122. We are in the Publix plaza at the intersection of Fairburn Road and Lee Road. Value Smiles provide Affordable Dental Care with Excellent Customer Service to patients in Lithia Springs, Douglasville, Austell, Mableton, Powder Springs and surrounding areas.